Since 1 in every 3 emails we receive seems to somehow be related to the swine flu, we decided to give our perspective on the statistics to date, the science of swine flu, and prevention and treatment. The recent rash of fear-based media alerts may lead you to believe that half the people in the U.S. will get very sick from the swine flu. It does not stop there as estimates from Europe have really cranked up the fear factor saying 10′s of millions could die this winter. The seasonal flu has a death rate between 250,000 and 500,000 worldwide. To date, 500 people have died worldwide from the swine flu.
Last week the CDC issued a statement urging people not to panic. They stated that the virus does not appear to be a pandemic type of flu, and that we should not expect large numbers of deaths from this flu.
The truth is that swine flu has been producing mild symptoms in healthy adults and children, with much fewer cases requiring hospitalization than this year’s typical “seasonal” flu. That’s the current reality.
Why all the fear then?
I believe, like many things in life, this fear based propaganda is designed to drive the profits of big business. Big Pharma stands to make a lot of money with vaccinations and antiviral meds. Billions of dollars are at stake and fear sells. You wouldn’t want your baby to die would you?
Vaccination fears come directly from the profession that provides them as The British Medical Journal reported that there is a growing worldwide opposition to accepting the swine flu vaccine. Many doctors and nurses indicate they won’t accept the vaccine for themselves due to fear of side effects and questions about its efficacy. (BMJ 2009;339:b3461)
Antiviral medications may well be an appropriate treatment once a diagnosis has been made; however, the irresponsible overuse of Tamiflu and other antiviral drugs as “preventive” treatments only serves to encourage mutations and mounting viral resistance, which only makes people more vulnerable.
We believe the best strategy for the swine flu is the same strategy you should have every flu season to keep your family healthy. We believe this strategy should be both safe and effective. You can keep yourself and your family healthy with safe, natural, holistic health care.
The best thing you can do for your health is to get an individual assessment of your health status and allow us to create a customized plan that serves as a template to restore or maintain your health. Contact our office directly for more information on this.
Tips to prevent the flu:
- Decrease your sugar intake. Sugar suppresses your immune system. 1 tsp. of sugar will depress the natural killer cell activity of the white blood cells by 50% for 2 days. (“Lick the Sugar Habit” by Nancy Appleton)
- Get proper rest
- Hydrate your body
- Wash your hands. Keep your fingers away from your nose and mouth.
- Take vitamin D, research shows that vitamin D deficiency may be the common link between deaths from any type of flu-swine or seasonal. Add 2000iu per day to your diet and do your best to get 10minutes of sunlight on your skin per day.
At the onset of flu symptoms take:
- Homeopathic and herbal flu remedies work wonders by boosting your immune response, decreasing mucus in the lungs, and killing the virus. We use the anti-viral triple play of Metal, Flu-tone, and temple guardian. Metal is a combination spagyrically prepared herbal remedy that I personally formulated for its immune system benefits. It is safe for children, pregnant and breast feeding women. Flu-tone is a combination homeopathic remedy that is also gentle yet effective in treating viral symptoms. Temple Guardian is a Chinese herbal remedy designed to work specifically on lung symptoms. There is no flu that stands a chance against the triple play!
- Elderberry extract is a potent lung remedy that helps combat viruses.
- Oil of oregano is an aromatic oil that kills viruses on contact
- Vitamin C has been known to shorten the duration and severity of viral infections. According to Dr. Leo Galland, MD it is safe for children ages 5 – 10 to take up to 2,000mg per day and it is safe for adults to take 1,000 – 3,000 mg per hour. If your stools become loose, you will know that you have taken as much as your body can absorb for that day. Discontinue use until the following day.